Alzheimer’s disease is a condition that affects the elderly causing problems with thinking and memory, which leads to confusion. This condition worsens over time and may lead to dangerous situations for affected seniors.
There are many products and tools used to help seniors improve their memory and help them live a better and more productive life despite worsening Alzheimer’s disease, and one of these is a clock with day and date for elderly people.
A clock with date and time functions for the elderly is unlike other clocks you have at home or at work. Most of these clocks are digital clocks with large screens and large numbers. These clocks for the elderly are also designed to show the date and the day of the week with the date showing the month in words, the date today, and the year in full.
Most of these clocks are perfect for use at home or in a nursing home to help seniors with ailing memories. Also, these clocks are large and bright enough to see, even from across the room.
Benefits of having a clock with day and date for elderly
- 1 Benefits of having a clock with day and date for elderly
- 2 Best Clocks with Day and Date for the Elderly Reviews
- 2.1 1. JALL Digital Calendar Alarm Day Clock
- 2.2 2. DayClox The Original Memory Loss Digital Calendar Day Clock
- 2.3 3. SVINZ 3 Alarms Dementia Clock
- 2.4 4. American Lifetime Vision Digital Clock
- 2.5 5. Pipishell Day Clock Premium Digital Alarm Clock
- 2.6 6. Raynic Digital Clock 11.5”
- 2.7 7. iGuerbum Talking Day Clock 8”
- 3 Final Verdict
Aside from telling the correct time, a clock with day and date for elderly people also has the following benefits:
- This type of clock helps seniors keep in a touch of reality
Seniors can use this type of clock to keep in touch with the date, time, and time of day, and with an alarm function, seniors will be reminded to take their medication or to do certain activities in a day.
- Seniors can show independence
Seniors won’t have to rely on anyone to remind them of their medication time or other things to do in a day because of this clock. An alarm function will help them remember things without the need for their family members or their caregivers to tell them.
- Seniors can use this clock to create schedules and plans for the day
With the alarm function, seniors can create their own schedules for days. Some clocks allow setting an unlimited number of alarms in a day.
- Seniors will remember what to do at a particular time of the day
Seniors can check if its morning, afternoon, night, evening, or pre-dawn and will perform activities that are needed for the time of day. This is very useful for people who are already showing early signs of dementia or Alzheimer’s.
What do you consider when shopping for the best clock with day and date for the elderly?
Consider the following when buying day date-time clock for a senior family member:
- Battery-operated or electric clocks
A battery-operated clock is better than electric clocks because these will still work despite a power interruption. Some clocks are hybrid digital clocks as they will work with an electric cord and has backup battery power as well.
- Large words and number fonts, please
The digital clock font for the numbers and letters should be large enough to be seen by seniors even from across the room. There are many things to consider like the screen backlight, un-abbreviated words (that will only confuse seniors), and solid and thick letters and numbers.
- Do you prefer a hanging clock or desk clock?
Is it better to use a hanging clock or a desk clock? A hanging clock with day and date for elderly is best to display the time from across the room while a desk clock makes it easier to adjust it. A particular clock is the iGuerbum Talking Day Clock that should be placed nearby (not hung on the wall) because of its touchscreen, talking clock functions.
- With alarm or without alarm features
An alarm function is perfect for reminding seniors of different things to do in a day like taking their medications, regarding their nutrition and personal hygiene activities. Seniors suffering from Alzheimer’s disease won’t be able to remember even simple things like medications, and a digital alarm clock is indeed heaven-sent.
- Any additional features
One of the most helpful features is the automatic dimming feature. This will dim the display automatically at 7 pm and return to the clock’s original brightness levels at 7 am (assuming that it’s already dark and bright during these times). This will help people who are light sensitive. But if you want to keep the brightness levels steady all day long, you can always turn off this feature.
Additional features are touchscreen features, talking clock feature, and different frame colors.
Best Clocks with Day and Date for the Elderly Reviews
Among these 7 best clocks with day and date for seniors members, many include the year, which can be helpful if your loved one is suffering from dementia.
1. JALL Digital Calendar Alarm Day Clock
The JALL Digital Calendar Alarm Day Clock has a very large screen display with an 8-inch high-resolution digital clock. It’s basically a sign that tells you the time, the date and the time of day (morning or evening). This is also an alarm clock that has 2 to 5 settings ideal for reminding seniors to take their medicines or to perform their daily routines.
It may be too bright for seniors, especially at night, but don’t worry because it has an automatic dimming feature that is activated at 7 pm and returns to its normal brightness level at 7 am. It is available in white frame and brown (wooden) frames and will work well with all kinds of indoor décor.
- With a very large display, easy to check from across the room
- Has an alarm function to remind seniors of the time and schedule
- With a date and morning or evening display
- With an automatic dimming feature
- You cannot change the display
- This is an electric clock
2. DayClox The Original Memory Loss Digital Calendar Day Clock
The DayClox is a high-resolution calendar, time, and day clock. It spells out the day of the week, the month and the day in big and bold letters. No abbreviations that will only confuse seniors. It is for seniors and even a great clock to use at home, at school, or at the office. The display of this kind of clocks for the elderly is bright and clear, making it easier to be seen even from across the room. The display is non-glaring, and thus it will work well for people with visual impairments.
You can also adjust the date and the day of the week to conform to different languages, including Spanish, German, French, Polish, Italian, Dutch, Welsh, and English. You can also set the time display to a 12-hour or 24-hour time display.
It can be hung on the wall or place on a desk or cabinet because of a kickstand. It has to be connected to a power outlet to work. All the controls are at the back as well as the menu options, and thus you need to take it down from a wall to adjust it.
- With high-resolution display
- Displays the full day of the week and the month, no abbreviations
- With a bright display so you can view the clock from afar
- Capable of displaying time and date in different languages
- Can display time in 12 or 24-hour format
- Can be hung or placed on a dresser or cabinet
- Comes with a kickstand to prop on a dresser or a cabinet
- No alarm features
- All the controls are at the back
- This is an electric digital clock
3. SVINZ 3 Alarms Dementia Clock
SVINZ Dementia Clock has three alarms and auto-dimming functions. It has a large display that tells you the time, date, and day ideal for people suffering from vision loss and Alzheimer’s and dementia. The display is 8” that spells the day and month in full, no abbreviations that can only confuse seniors. It also has words like Morning, Evening, Afternoon, Night, and Pre-Dawn to indicate the times of the day. It has an alarm function and color displays (yellow or white). The alarm function helps seniors remember to take their medication and to help them remember different activities in a day. It has a dimming function, which automatically dims the display at 7 pm and returns to its original brightness at 7 am. The fonts are larger and easier to see.
- Ideal for seniors with Alzheimer’s, dementia and visual problems
- With larger fonts and no abbreviated words
- With automatic dimming functions, but this may be powered-off
- With alarm functions
- Powered by electricity
4. American Lifetime Vision Digital Clock
The American Lifetime day clock looks like a picture frame and comes with large and bold numbers and letters to show the date and time. It is an 8-inch resolution, digital clock that spells out the day of the week and month with no abbreviations that may be confusing to seniors.
It has multi-functional alarms and five daily alarms to help seniors take their medicines on time. This digital clock is connected to a power outlet to work, but it also has a battery backup feature in case there’s a power outage. No need to adjust the time and date because these will return to the correct time and date once the power has been returned.
And this is the best digital clock with day and date for elderly that you can use no matter what interior décor you have. It’s available in different frames, including a white, beige, gold, brown, grey marble, crème marble, and mahogany.
- With a large 8-inch resolution
- Spells the full day of the week and month to prevent confusion
- With alarm function to help remind seniors of the time
- Must be plugged to a power outlet but comes with battery pack
- Automatic date and time update after a power outage
- With a 30-day money-back guarantee
- All the controls and buttons are at the back
- Brightness is not adjustable
For an elder member, you need also an adjustable bed. Must review there 10 Best Adjustable Beds for Seniors in 2020
5. Pipishell Day Clock Premium Digital Alarm Clock
The Pipishell Day Clock comes with an extra-large and clear display. You can clearly see the time, date, and day from its 8-inch display at 1024 x 768 HD digital calendar/clock screen. The letters and numbers are thick and bold and are not abbreviated to avoid any confusion. There are unique features with this calendar clock for the elderly. It has an alarm function and a two-color display (white or yellow), and you can set up to 5 different alarms in a day. This is a good function to remind seniors to take their medication.
It also comes with an automatic dimming function that dims the display at 7 pm and will again return the display brightness at 7 am. You can return the display to its original brightness or shut this feature off as well. This clock comes with a 30- day return guarantee with available customer service to help you with any technical concerns.
- With a large display so you can clearly see the time, date, and day.
- The words are not abbreviated, so there’s no confusion.
- It comes with auto-dimming features, but you can turn this feature off.
- With alarm functions to help seniors regarding taking their medications.
- There are no colors available
- Alarm volume cannot be changed
6. Raynic Digital Clock 11.5”
The Raynic Digital Clock is the largest digital LED clock in our list at 11.5 inches. It has a clear, digital-style display that’s easy for an elderly family member to check even from across the room. It also comes with 5-level light settings, which is useful for people who can’t stand bright lights. This digital clock has a 3-option alarm that will help seniors schedule different events with ease. You can even set one alarm with different wake-up times and set the volume according to your preference.
Like the smart monitoring system for elderly this has another great feature is you can set this using two USB ports and an easy snooze function. You can use these USB ports to charge your phone or other portable devices. Take note that the alarm function is only available when you are using a power cord. And you can also use a coin-battery which is more reliable, especially during a blackout or a power outage.
- With a large, bright LED display that allows seniors to check time and date from across the room.
- This is a multi-function clock that displays the date, day, and is also an alarm clock.
- With temperature display reading
- Alarm function with three alarms, you can set each one accordingly
- Can be used as a charging device with USB ports
- It is easy to set
- Can be hung or placed on a desk or cabinet using a kickstand
- Only available in black
7. iGuerbum Talking Day Clock 8”
The iGuerbum Talking Day Clock is a large display clock with a touchscreen feature. It is ideal for people with dementia or Alzheimer’s as well as seniors with vision problems. This is a touchscreen clock that tells you the time, date, and day. It comes with 8 alarms, which you can’t find in other digital clocks. It works by plugging this in an electric outlet, but it also uses battery backup. Don’t worry if you fail to set it up once the power comes back because it will automatically do so. The speaker volume of this talking clock may be adjusted accordingly. Just touch the screen, and you’ll get a response. Use the touch screen to change settings, set alarms, and change the different features of the clock.
- Touchscreen clock is easier to adjust and to operate
- With a large display to easily check the time and date even from far away
- With alarm function to set schedules
- This is a speaking clock and comes with adjustable clock volumes
- It can tell the time in six different languages (English US, English UK, French, German, Italian, and Spanish).
- You can’t hang this clock
- Available only in a white frame
Of the seven top clocks with day and date for elderly , we selected the JALL Digital Calendar Alarm Day Clock. We have many reasons for recommending this digital clock. First, it has a very large screen display, an 8-inch high-resolution display that tells you the time, the date and the time of day (morning or evening). It can be seen from far away because of the size of the letters and numbers.
The JALL digital calendar and clock is also an alarm clock that has 2 to 5 settings. You can use this to remind seniors to take their medicines or for their daily routines. Finally, it has an automatic dimming feature that is activated at 7 pm and returns to normal brightness at 7 am. It comes in a white frame and brown and will great in any kind of indoor décor.
If you think that the JALL Digital Calendar Alarm Day Clock is also the best clock for the elderly, check this out from this link.