Smart homes have made living in it easier and more efficient. You can monitor and control different aspects of your home from afar using the best smart monitoring systems. You can check on your family and property’s safety, monitor temperature, air quality and humidity, and many more. Seniors also need a smart monitoring system for elderly in the home. These are efficient smart tools that will keep their homes safe and more comfortable to live in.
This is a review of the ten best elderly monitoring systems. We have selected the most updated, easy to use, and perfect for elderly users. Choose the best senior monitoring system for your home or for the home of your elderly family member. This kind of home alert system may also be used in nursing homes or in care facilities as a room monitor for elderly.
Top 10 Smart Monitoring System for Elderly In The Home
- 1 Top 10 Smart Monitoring System for Elderly In The Home
- 1.1 1. Nest Cam Indoor Wired Home Security Camera
- 1.2 2. AcuRite 01512 Wireless 5-in-1 Weather Sensor
- 1.3 3. Ring Video Doorbell
- 1.4 4. SAMCOM Wireless Intercom System
- 1.5 5. Omron Silver Blood Pressure Monitor
- 1.6 6. FIRST ALERT PRC710 Combination Alarm
- 1.7 7. LandAirSea 54 GPS Tracker
- 1.8 8. Orbit 83521 Clear Comfort Programmable Thermostat
- 1.9 9. Nurse Call Button
- 1.10 10. Smart Caregiver Wireless Monitor and Motion Sensor
- 1.11 The Benefits of using Smart Monitoring System for the Elderly In The Home
- 1.12 How to choose the best monitoring system
- 1.13 Final Verdict
Home monitoring systems are an excellent way to ensure your loved one’s safety while you are away. Here are we review about home monitoring and home alert systems that can help your elderly members safe at home and maintain their independence.
1. Nest Cam Indoor Wired Home Security Camera
Our first Smart Home monitoring device is the Nest Cam. This is an indoor wired security camera that will allow you to stream videos non-stop in full high definition over your home’s Wi-Fi system. It is a perfect choice if you want to check your home and you’re out on vacation, at the doctor, or at your grandkids. Just access the Nest Cam from your smartphone or laptop and voila!
- Indoor WiFi camera for home security with 24/7 live video and night vision for clear video, no...
- High definition 1080p surveillance camera with 130 degree wide angle view, 1920 x 1080 HD...
- Mobile alerts and notifications let you know when your indoor camera spots activity1; See what you...
- Google Nest uses industry leading security to protect your video feed and information; Enable two...
- Nest Cam indoor camera
- Check live footage or save the video on your device
- Easy to set up
- Instant alerts on your phone
- Night vision
- Talk and Listen feature
It comes with night vision monitoring using its eight high-powered LEDs. It can check on your property even in the darkest night. It will give you mobile alerts and will notify you at the first sign that it notices any activity. You can save footage or act on it right away. It is a secure home camera with two-factor authentication, so you rest assured that you and only you can access and view the footage.
Finally, this also comes with two-way audio. With this feature, you can talk to the person on the other end, tell the dog to keep quiet, or just remind your housekeeper about anything. It’s easy to set up and does not need technical expertise to do so.
- Easy to install
- Capable of 24/7 monitoring
- With night vision and automatic updates
- Talk and listen function
- Connects via Wi-Fi
- Plug and go
- No panning options
- Needs Wi-Fi to work
2. AcuRite 01512 Wireless 5-in-1 Weather Sensor
This is an all-in-one weather sensor from AcuRite. This is a sensor that will help you monitor temperature, wind speeds and direction, humidity, and rainfall. You’ll be the first to know with the weather ticker, which provides real-time updates. It can monitor indoor and outdoor conditions using a powerful remote sensor.
- Real-Time Weather Conditions: Receive readings for indoor outdoor temperature and humidity, wind...
- Large Color LCD Display with Adjustable Dimmer: Convenient to read and easily view data from various...
- Weather Forecast: Provides a hyperlocal, personalized weather forecast 12 hours from your current...
- Displays Comprehensive Weather Conditions: Pressure trends with trend arrow, heat index, dew point,...
- It Will help you monitor the temperature in Fahrenheit and Centigrade
- Will keep track of indoor and outdoor temps, wind speeds and direction, rainfall
- It can track heat index and dew point as well as wind chills and humidity
- It is internet-connected
- With an easy set up the device
The AcuRite weather station is easy to set up no matter where you are. It comes with a large monitor where everything you need to know is accessible a large and colorful monitor.
- You can monitor the weather and temperature at home
- Tracks all data and you can see everything from a large colorful screen
- Easy to set up
- Easy to monitor
- Complaints that it’s hard to connect with a smartphone
- Not solar-powered
3. Ring Video Doorbell
Another trusted, smart monitoring device is the Ring video doorbell. This device will let you see the person knocking at your front door. You can check the video from your device, whether you’re using a tablet, phone, or Echo device.
- Video recorded is in high definition 720p
- See and speak to people through your phone or device
- With Live View to instantly check on your doorway
- Easy connection and setup through the Ring app
- Connects via Wi-Fi, powered by a rechargeable battery
- Connect with Alexa
You can instantly get notifications as soon as something is detected on your doorway. The Live View functions will help you check on your home anytime through the app. This is easy to set up and is powered by a rechargeable battery, or you can connect it to an existing electric doorbell.
The Ring HD doorbell will also connect to Alexa, and this will alert you through your phone when there is motion or a visitor. Just say “Alexa, talk to the front door” and let Alexa connect to the Ring instantly.
- Easy to set up
- You can view and manage plan using your app
- Uses Live View for live monitoring
- Connects with Alexa for easy monitoring
- You can’t pan or move this doorbell camera
- You can’t install more cameras
4. SAMCOM Wireless Intercom System
Just like a baby monitor, you can use the SAMCOM wireless intercom system to keep track of an aging family member. This 20-channel intercom system may be placed in different areas of a home, including a senior’s bedroom. You can listen and talk to your elderly family member even when you’ve located a floor up or down and even from different rooms.
- ✬MONITOR Intercoms - Works like a baby & elderly audio intercom, Parents can listen to young...
- ✬Wireless Intercom has a range of 1,500 feet and features 20 secure channels with 3 ABC private...
- ✬Intercom System adds noise reduction and anti-interference function to make the communication...
- ✬Press the TALK button and speak to other stations on the same channel or choose a channel number...
- With a monitor function
- Battery-operated so it’s wireless
- A rechargeable battery can take up to 55 hours of standby time
- With a range of more than 1500 feet
- With 20 safe and secure channels
- With noise reduction and anti-interference features
- Display screen and use power key
- May be charged using an AC adaptor or a power bank
- Press Talk to speak to all the stations
- With lock button for hands-free use
This intercom has a range of 1500 feet and offers 20 channels using a 3 ABC private communication code so users can communicate inside a home or in an office setting. The SAMCOM is powered by a built-in 2200mAh rechargeable battery that will work up to 27 to 55 hours standby time.
It has noise-reduction features and anti-interference functions, so you can communicate clearly and effortlessly. You may also push the TALK button and talk to all the stations in a channel, or you may assign a channel number so you can talk privately.
- Has a monitoring feature
- With wireless intercom feature
- Very easy to use and can be used indoors or outdoors
- Easy to use and install
- Compact and easiest to use
- Runs on rechargeable batteries only
- With no video functions
For elder members, you may review here 7 Best 3 Wheel Bikes For Seniors (Guide & Review)
5. Omron Silver Blood Pressure Monitor
Another smart monitoring device is the Omron blood pressure monitor. It is the world’s number one highly recommended blood pressure monitoring device that’s recommended by doctors for accurate readings. It has Advanced Accuracy that measures blood pressure using wider data points for precision and consistency.
- The OMRON Silver Upper Arm Monitor provides unlimited memory and stores 80 total blood pressure...
- With Advanced Accuracy, an exclusive OMRON technology, this monitor measures five times more data...
- Easy-Wrap ComFit a pre-formed cuff that inflates 360° around the arm to help reduce measurement...
- Backed with a 3- year warranty, OMRON stands behind the accuracy and quality of our products, and...
- Omron is a trusted brand in digital blood pressure monitors
- With Advanced Accuracy technology
- With unlimited memory and users through the Omron app
- Will work with Alexa
- With easy wrap-around cuff
- With a large digital display
- With Bluetooth features and hypertension indicators
- Powered by 4 AA batteries
- Comes with a storage case and a quick start guide
This can store up to 80 total readings for a user. Take note that memory and the number of users are unlimited when it comes to the Omron Connect app. This works with the Amazon Alexa devices on iOS and Android. With these smart devices, you will need the best adjustable beds for seniors, this will help the body absorb oxygen and stimulate blood flow, thus achieving faster pain relief.
The Omron Silver has an easy-to-wrap cuff that will inflate around the arm firmly to reduce errors. This will also ensure the inflation of the cuff over the brachial artery.
- Very accurate
- With a large digital display
- Can read pulse rates
- Comes with hypertension warning
- Bluetooth capable
- Can keep more data and users
- Too large to carry in your bag
- With only one size cuff
- Complaints with the rotor
6. FIRST ALERT PRC710 Combination Alarm
The First Alert Smoke Detector PRC710 combination alarm is battery-powered. It can provide continuous monitoring of carbon monoxide levels despite a power failure. It is equipped with electro-chemical CO-monitoring technology and photoelectric sensors that can detect larger particles of smoke or fire.
- Complies with all current 10 year legislation in U. S. states/cities where required
- Features electrochemical Carbon Monoxide sensing technology and photoelectric smoke sensor optimized...
- A loud 85 decibel alarm sounds when Carbon Monoxide, and Smoke levels begin to rise
- Features a sleek, low profile design to blend more fully into the wall and out of sight
- Battery-operated, with the end of life chirp
- With indicator lights
- With 85-decibel siren
- Easy to install
- Easy silence button, battery drawer easy access
- With a generous 7-year warranty
This is easy to install, and you can do it even without the help of an electrician. This comes with up to 7 year’s limited warranty. It also has an end-of-life signal chirp, so you will be alerted when it’s time to change the battery.
- Keeps your family safe
- Detect CO and smoke
- Enhanced CO sensing technology
- With indicator lights, a very loud siren
- Battery operated so it will work during a power outage
- Simple to use
- Problems with erratic chirping
7. LandAirSea 54 GPS Tracker
One of the best smart monitoring system for elderly in the home is LandAirSea 54 GPS Tracker. This is a reliable tracker that can be used to track people, cars, assets, and pets. It has a compact design, is waterproof, and comes with a powerful magnet. It can attach to vehicles, can fit in small pockets, and can hide in a bag undetected.
- Personal GPS for reliable tracking of people, vehicles, and/or assets
- Ultra-compact design | 100% Waterproof | Built-in Super Strength Magnet
- Attaches to vehicle | Fits in small pockets | Discretely hide in a backpack, case or purse
- Track & map (with Google Maps) in realtime on web-based software or SilverCloud App
- Can track vehicles, assets, and even people
- Compatible with all devices
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- With AT&T device
- With email and text alerts
- Features like Geo-fencing, location reporting, and driver behavior
- Check location through Google Maps
You can track anyone, anything using a map (Google Map) using real-time data or in a SilverCloud app. It will give you text and email alerts of position and comes with geofencing and location reporting and driver behavior.
- With alerts using text and email
- Compact and easy to use
- Discrete, easy to hide
- Can track location through Google Maps
- Comes with a SIM using AT&T
- Complaints that it’s not very reliable
8. Orbit 83521 Clear Comfort Programmable Thermostat
This is the Orbit 83521, a programmable thermostat that comes with an extra-large screen. The display is easy to read because the numbers are large and come with a warm backlight. You can even see the reading when you’re across the room.
- Beautiful and contemporary design complements any décor, with large display and warm backlight for...
- Early start mode ensures the desired temperature is reached by the programmed time, making for a...
- 7-Day programmability: program each day individually with up to 4 programming periods. This...
- Copy feature (from day to day), as well as permanent and temporary hold mode, reduces programming...
- With a large, easy to read display
- Shows you the time as well
- With backlit screen
- With mode switch, fan switch, set switch, hold switch and run switch
- Will work with most heating and cooling systems
Use the early start feature that makes sure that the correct temperature is achieved by the pre-programmed time. This comes with a 7-day programmable feature so you can change the temperature program daily for four periods.
It has different modes, a cop feature, and guaranteed accurate readings for improved control. It does not work with baseboard heating units, multi-stage heaters or cooling units, and three-wire hydronic heaters. It is compatible with gas, electric, or oil furnaces, two-wire hot water units, central AC systems, milli-volt systems, and heat pumps with no auxiliary backup heat.
- Programmable up to 7 days
- Accurate readings
- Large display
- Can run on different modes
- Compatible with many heating and cooling systems
- Not compatible with baseboard heating systems
- Needs professional installation
9. Nurse Call Button
This is the Smart Caregiver 433-NC Wireless Nurse Call Button that will help an elderly patient call for a nurse or for any medical help no matter where she is. It sends a signal to a call button unit, which is sold separately from this device. This has to be programmed to communicate with a call button unit.
- Smart Caregiver's 433-NC Wireless Nurse Call Button allows a resident or a loved one to press a...
- Nurse call button sends a wireless signal to the 433-CMU, 433-CMU-40, 433-CMU-60, or 433-EC (all...
- Includes a lanyard to wear around the neck or a cradle to mount in a more permanent location.
- Easy to press and it's silent, NO NOISE in the room! Comes with 12 volt A23 battery!
- Large call button with a wireless design
- Communicates to call button unit
- Sends a silent signal
- It’s easy to press and take anywhere
- Comes with a lanyard
- Powered by an A23 12volt battery
This comes with a washable lanyard. It is easy to use, is silent, so there’s no noise inside the room with a 12-volt battery. It also comes with a large sign/print on the device that shows the user where to push.
- Easy to use
- Quiet but effective
- Can be worn around the neck
- Large button, easy to push
- You need to buy the base unit
- It is useless without the base unit
10. Smart Caregiver Wireless Monitor and Motion Sensor
The Smart Caregiver wireless monitor and sensor are versatile and easy to use. It is easy to monitor an elderly family member without leaving your room. You can place this inside the senior’s room or in the hallway. It is battery-operated with adjustable volume and is expandable. The monitor can take up to 6 wireless systems.
- Smart Caregiver Versatile and Economical Wireless Monitoring
- System comes with 1 Economy Wireless Monitor and 1 Motion Sensor with swivel bracket for specific...
- The Monitor uses three "C" batteries and measures 5.25" x 4" x 1". The Motion Sensor uses three "AA"...
- Monitor has adjustable volume (Hi/Lo/Med).
- With wireless capability
- With a monitor and a motion sensor
- It can monitor anyone that leaves the room
- Battery operated
- With adjustable volume and is expandable
- Easy to use
- Easy to control
- Expandable with more monitors
- Battery operated so it will work even in a power failure
- Will not power off automatically
The Benefits of using Smart Monitoring System for the Elderly In The Home
The smart monitoring systems for the elderly that we have on our list are important for both the elderly family member as well as for the family and the caregiver as well.
- The elderly will feel confident that someone is looking after her wellbeing at home or at a senior’s home. She will appreciate the care and the importance of her safety given to her by her family members and caregivers.
- The elderly’s immediate family will be able to closely monitor the health, safety, and security of their loved one. These can ease their worries, especially when they are located away from their family member.
- Caregivers for elderly will be able to monitor their clients effectively and efficiently at home or at a medical facility. They can relay their monitoring to medical officials and to the patient’s family for prompt action
How to choose the best monitoring system
Remember the following when selecting the smart monitoring system for elderly in the home
Ease of access
As with using video cameras, camera monitoring, doorbell monitors, and weather monitors, you need to access data and information fast, and no matter where you’re located so you can protect the elderly family member no matter where she is.
Live data and live video monitoring
As with using video camera monitoring, the ability to check on your family member as you want or on-demand is priceless.
The safety of the elderly is foremost
You must ensure that your elderly family member is safe and sound all the time, and at the same time, the use of the monitoring system must not affect here safety as well.
There are a variety of smart monitoring systems that are applicable to the elderly while at home. All these promote the safety, well-being, and health of your family members and also encourage freedom and self-reliance. Choose the smart monitoring system for elderly in the home according to your elderly family’s condition and her overall safety needs.